Sunday, July 31, 2011

Why Yoga?


Contrary to want many might thing, I'm not subjecting my body to a vegetarian diet and immersing myself into a 30-day yoga intensive to prove I'm better than anyone. Yoga for me has always been personal. This latest journey is no different. I practice yoga to quite, balance, and calm my mind. The physical aspects of yoga are a definite plus too~! However, its my mind that benefits the most. It brings me much pain to admit, my mind works differently than most. I prefer to think I have a gift..and often times it is a gift...but sometimes it is a HUGE hindrance. My mind is constantly on the run and yoga slows it to a jog and sometimes to a walk. Additionally, my ADD often makes me a crappy husband, father, and friend...none brings me joy!

I'm a foodie. I LOVE TO EAT! Many of you know my affinity for the crisp and salty nectar of bacon! Over the years I have reduced the amount of bacon I eat. For the past seven months, I've even reduced the amount of meat I eat...at the same time I've increased the quality of meat I eat. So for me to give up bacon...and meat, you know this is a huge undertaking for me. The elimination of meat from my diet is more about controlling my mind than any specific health benefit.

I believe, if I can go one, two, three months...or longer without meat...I can do anything else I want with my mind. Its an additional discipline for my mind.

My overall goal is to translate the clarity and awareness my current journey brings me to improve my personal shortcomings. (Here we go!)

No comments:

Post a Comment